Joanne Rand died from blood poisoning 11 days after a bottle of industrial strength sulphuric acid was splashed on her. The 47-year-old was sitting on a bench in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, when Xeneral Webster aged 19 tried to steal another man’s bike. He threatened him with the bottle, but the man kicked it away, spilling the contents all over Joanne in June last year.
She ran screaming into a fast food restaurant to douse herself in water and was then rushed to hospital. Tragically, Joanne died 11 days later in a specialist burns unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, after chemical burns became infected, causing multiple organ failure from sepsis. But it wasn’t before the ‘much loved mother, sister and partner’ helped the police to identify Webster, who was arrested on June 12 just two days before Joanne died.
The Police said: "Webster showed a total disregard for the innocent members of the public who were present that day and his actions took a much loved mum, sister, and partner away from her many family and friends. Acid attacks are horrific. Their consequences devastate lives. I hope this case is a pertinent reminder to anyone considering carrying this dangerous substance that doing so can have very serious consequences."
The Prosecutor said: "The intended victim acted reasonably, in the circumstances, by deflecting the bottle away from himself. Webster was responsible for the death of Joanne and had he not planned to hurt the intended victim, Joanne would still be alive. The consequences of this incident highlight the significant danger weapons, drugs, and violence have on lives."